Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Just a reminder- Thursday 4-14-05


sjmhummv
Originally uploaded by enduring hegemony.
Make sure to get there early so you can get a seat.
Thursday, April 14
6pm - 8:30 pm
Halle Library Auditorium, EMU Campus

Meet retired Marine Staff Sergeant
and outspoken antiwar activist Jimmy Massey.

For nearly 12 years, Staff Sergeant Jimmy Massey was a hard-core, some say "gung-ho," Marine. For three years he trained fellow Marines in one of the most grueling indoctrination rituals in military life -- Marine boot camp.
The Iraqi war changed Massey. The brutality, the sheer carnage of the U.S. invasion, touched his conscience and transformed him forever.
Jimmy was a platoon sergeant in 7th Marines during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. After witnessing first hand the horror of war he refused to continue this pointless war. After a hard fight he was discharged and has since been telling people the truth about the war in Iraq.

Others like him have formed the IVAW, or Iraqi Veterans Against the War to organize the antiwar movement & bring the troops home, now!

"I used to tell my Marines our job is not to be over here playing politician, [but to] secure Iraq for a free market democracy, and thats what well do. However, I didnt see any way for America to accomplish that. When I became vocal about that, the Marine Corps did not like what I had to say.

I killed innocent people for our government. For what?Where is the good coming out of it? I feel like I've had a hand in some sort of evil lie at the hands of our government. I just feel embarrassed, ashamed about it.

What [you] need to know is we killed a lot of innocent people. The occupation hurt the Iraqis. And I didn't see any humanitarian support [for the Iraqis]."

Come and Listen to Jimmy Massey speak:
Thursday, April 14
6pm - 8:30 pm
Halle Library Auditorium, EMU Campus
(Taken from event flyer)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home